Google has recently started favoring mobile-ready Websites over all Websites in mobile search results. This does not affect desktops at this point at least, but if you have noticed lately, mobile traffic is exceeding desktops.
In other words, we can say the average Website is about to lose 50% of its search driven traffic as a whole if it is not mobile-friendly.
Now is the time to upgrade, start over, modify, cobble or do whatever you can to get your Website to conform to these new standards before you lose half your traffic and possibly half your sales.
To avoid being pushed down the search results your Website must conform to the following:
– Don’t use uncommon software on the site such as Flash
– Text must be readable without having to zoom the mobile browser
– Links must be spaced far enough apart so they can be naturally “touched”
– Match screen size to device to keep from having to scroll horizontally
– You must specify that each page is compatible by having a Meta tag similar to the one below in the “<head>” section of the page:
<meta name=”viewport” content=”width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0″>
Everyone can check if they are in compliance by using the Google Developers Mobile-Friendly Test Tool. Do this as soon as possible because you are probably already losing positions on mobile search!